Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
Vale Referrals Ear, Nose and Throat service is aimed at the diagnosis, management and treatment of upper airway disease and acute/chronic ear disease in dogs and cats.
We have particular expertise in Brachycephalic Airway Disease (BOAS), Laryngeal Paralysis (LP) and the medical and surgical management of acute and chronic ear disease
We give a balanced approach to assessment and treatments options for upper airway disease and acute/chronic ear conditions, tailoring the management and treatment options that are suited best to our patients and owners.
Respiratory and gastrointestinal disease (Brachycephalic obstructive airway disease - BOAS) is commonly seen in brachycephalic breeds (for example Pugs, French Bulldogs, Bulldogs and Boston Terriers). This can be a complex and distressing condition for our patient’s and it is one that is frequently more recognised in the general public as these breeds become more popular.
Acute and chronic ear disease can be a debilitating condition in dogs and cats requiring lifelong management and treatment. Often the underlying cause is related to chronic allergic skin disease or conformational issues.
Our Ear, Nose and Throat service is led by Ed Friend BVetMed CertSAS DipECVS MRCVS, (European Specialist in Small Animal Surgery, RCVS Specialist in Small Animal Surgery (Soft Tissue) who has specialist expertise in upper airway surgery and the management of brachycephalic breeds. Ed has published widely on the subject and is regarded as an expert in his field. Ed takes the view that both the gastrointestinal signs and upper respiratory signs have to be managed concurrently to get the best success for our patients minimising the risks of treatment.
Ed is supported and aided by our specialist dermatologist Peri Lau-Gillard DrMedVet CertVD DipECVD MRCVS (RCVS and European Specialist in Veterinary Dermatology).
Peri’s expertise lies in the thorough assessment of dermatological conditions and video-otoscopic management of ear disease. Peri can treat and manage ear disease avoiding in most cases the need for surgery.
In cases that cannot be managed medically, Ed has extensive experience and expertise in the surgical management of ear disease enabling the best possible outcome for chronic non responsive ear disease.
Ear nose and throat diagnostics at Vale Referrals are aided by:
- Minimally invasive high definition video otoscopy for ear flushing and assessment of ear drum and middle ear
- Minimally invasive flexible and rigid upper airway endoscopy for airway assessment
- Advanced diagnostic imaging (computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and digital radiography) for imaging of the skull and soft tissues
- Outpatient fluoroscopic swallowing studies (external to Vale Referrals)
- Skin and ear cytology, culture and sensitivity for assessing bacterial and fungal growth
Ear nose and throat management options at Vale Referrals are aided by:
- Video-otoscopic assessment for medical management of ear disease
- Tailored dermatological treatment aimed at controlling skin disease
- Surgical expertise in airway surgery (Brachycephalic airway disease, Laryngeal Paralysis)
- Surgical expertise in the surgical management of ear disease (Total ear canal ablation and lateral bulla osteotomy, ventral bulla osteotomy)
For more information or to make a referral please contact email@example.com