We offer a multi-disciplinary approach to Oncology, offering a range of diagnostic and treatment options.
As always at Vale Referrals, we pride ourselves on offering an appropriate and affordable service. Treatment options can be tailored to the patient’s needs and the owner’s means and we will offer support and communication to both the referring vet and their client.
We have access to a range of advanced diagnostic tools, and the expertise to interpret the results. This allows us to assess, stage and grade disease before advising on treatment.
We will use a combination of the following:
- Digital Radiography and Advanced Imaging including CT imaging supported by Vet CT Specialists enabling full diagnostic interpretation
- Abdominal and thoracic ultrasound, including ultrasound guided fine needle aspirates and trucut biopsy
- Laparoscopic assisted biopsy (liver, multi-organ)
- Video cystoscopy and biopsy for bladder neoplasia
- Video rhinoscopy combined with CT for nasal mass biopsy
- Surgical biopsy
Options can be tailored to the patient’s condition using standard protocols and newer chemotherapeutic agents.
- CHOP/COP/Single agent therapy, tailored to the individual patient with lymphoma, myeloma and leukaemia
- Adjunctive therapy for osteosarcoma, mast cell tumours, thyroid carcinomas
Our Surgical team, Alasdair Hotston Moore MA VetMB CertSAC CertVR Cert SAS MRCVS (Advanced Practitioner in Small Animal Surgery and Fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons) and Richard Artingstall MA VetMB CertSAS MRCVS, RCVS Advanced Practitioner in Small Animal Surgery, work closely with Stefano Zago DVM (Hons) MSc (Clin Onc) MRCVS, Myra Stevenson BVM&S Cert SAM MRCVS, RCVS Advanced Practitioner in Small Animal Medicine and Sian Blakey BVetMed (hons) CertAVP (SAM) MRCVS. in cases that require surgery or require oncological input after surgery.
Common oncological surgeries include:
- Thoracic oncological surgery (lung lobe resection for primary lung neoplasia, rib resection for thoracic wall tumours, thymoma removal)
- Mast cell tumour resection and reconstruction for large mast cell tumours
- Soft tissue sarcoma removal and skin reconstruction
- Abdominal oncological surgery (liver lobe resection for primary liver tumours, splenectomy, intestinal resection and anastomosis, bladder wall neoplasia)
- Head and neck oncological surgery (thyroid carcinoma resection, parathyroidectomy, local lymph node resection)
- Skin reconstruction after oncological surgery (advancement flaps, axial pattern flaps, skin grafts)
- Limb amputation (osteosarcoma)